Ontario Breast Screening Program
The Ontario Breast Screening Program (OBSP) is a program of Cancer Care Ontario. It provides high-quality mammography services for women 50 years of age and older. Mammograms are free-of-charge for women in Ontario.
The OBSP provides:
- High-quality mammograms in sites accredited by the Canadian Association of Radiologists;
- Well-developed quality assurance at each site;
- Results of the screening appointment within two weeks to you and your healthcare provider;
- Help to set up extra tests or referrals if your results suggest that they are needed;
- A reminder letter when it is time to return for your next screening mammogram. Usually, this is every two years. Women over the age of 74 do not receive a reminder letter. However, they are welcome to call for an appointment after they have discussed it with their healthcare provider.
In 2002, RVH achieved recognition by Cancer Care Ontario as a Breast Assessment Centre and we provide a complete range of care including screening, diagnosis, surgery and follow-up. Clients may be referred for aspiration or ultrasound guided biopsy, which can be done at RVH.
Scheduled appointments are open to any woman over age 50, who does not currently have any breast complications. These appointments do not require a requisition or physician's referral. The only requirements are that you be 50 years or over and that one year has lapsed since your last mammogram. The program also requires that you have not had breast cancer, and do not currently have breast implants.
To schedule an appointment for the Ontario Breast Screening Program, please call 1-800-916-6277.