Welcome to RVH
- Family is a group of individuals with a continuing legal, genetic and/or emotional relationship. Patients define their “family” and how they will be involved in care, care planning, and decision making. RVH respects and values family as integral partners in providing excellent care.
- Guests are visitors of the patient or family.
Public visitors/guests are welcome from 1130 to 2030 hours (11:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.) dailyFamilies are welcome 24 hours a day according to patient preference or Substitute Decision Maker (SDM) where applicable and at the discretion of the unit.Visitors are restricted to two (2) per patient at a timeChildren under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult (over age 18).
- All visitors must check in at the Nursing Station on the inpatient unit they are visiting: 613-432-4851 Medical/Surgical ext 258; SCU ext 231; CCCU x ext 280
- Masks covering the nose and mouth are to be worn for the full duration of your visit.
- Masks are available at each hospital entrance if you do not have a mask.Cloth masks will be replaced with a hospital-provided surgical mask at the nursing station on the unit.
- Visitors may not consume food or beverages while visiting in the hospital unless they are in the cafeteria.
- All visitors must complete passive Covid screening before entering the hospital. Signs are posted at each entrance with the screening questions. If you are unsure if you have passed screening, please go to Switchboard.
- Family and guests who are feeling unwell; have an infection; or have any of the following symptoms should not come to the hospital: fever, cough, sore throat, headache, shortness of breath.
- Proof of vaccination is not required however vaccination is encouraged.
- Visitors must perform hand hygiene (handwashing and/or use of hand sanitizer) when entering and leaving the facility and the patient’s room.
- In situations where there are shared rooms, or in some areas in the hospital where patients have special needs, consideration will be given to the other patients and their families.
- To ensure safety, consideration will also be given to the physical limitations of the space.
- Visits may be interrupted to protect the privacy rights of other patients or to maintain safety and security.
- Between 20:00 and 06:30 hours, family members are asked to enter through the Emergency Department entrance.If family is visiting during these hours, please report to Admitting/Switchboard to sign in with the Registration Staff so they can alert the inpatient unit there are visitors.
Visitation for COVID positive patients
- All patients are tested for Covid upon admission and must have a negative Covid PCR test result before visitation is approved.
- Patients who are Covid positive cannot have visitors at this time.
- Visitation can resume 10-20 days after the patient’s asymptomatic positive test or symptom onset with positive test. The duration of the patient’s isolation is based upon the patient’s condition and any risk factors the patient may have. No visitation shall be permitted while the patient is on isolation.
- Palliative visitation will be considered for patients at end of life who are Covid positive. This must be coordinated with the unit to where the patient resides. Regular mask and visor, gloves and gown are required.
- Please call the unit if you require an update on the status of the patient or for any questions about visitation.
To support a safe patient care and work environment, essential personal belongings for patients (for activities of daily living) will be permitted into the hospital. However, we ask that you follow the directions below:
- Items should be clearly marked with the patient’s name.
- Please remember the hospital is not responsible for lost or damaged items.Valuables should always be left at home.
Positive Case and Symptom Management for Visitors, ECPs and Patients
Essential Care Partner brochure (PDF)
Visitor policy poster – June 28, 2022
RVH Visitation Brochure – Summer 2022