The Renfrew Victoria Hospital is subject to the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA).
The main purpose of PHIPA is to:
- Establish rules for the collection, use and disclosure of an individual’s personal health information in order to protect information and privacy.
- Provide individuals with access to their personal health information, subject to limited and specific exceptions set out in the Act.
- Personal health information includes but is not limited to date of birth, Health Card number, a person’s health condition, and your level of care and treatment received
How we protect your privacy
The steps taken at RVH to protect your personal health information from theft, loss and unauthorized access, copying, modification, use, disclosure and disposal include:
- Audits and investigations to monitor access and manage our compliance to privacy.
- Educating all staff and physicians about patient privacy. They may only use your personal health information for the purposes to which you have consented.
- Confidentiality pledges are signed annually
- Privacy and security training is completed annually by all hospital staff and physicians.
- Ensuring that only people who are within your Circle of Care are able to access your health information. (Circle of Care includes physicians, pharmacists, nurses, technicians, clerks, and all staff who provide care during your stay.)
Making a privacy complaint under PHIPA
As a patient, if you feel there was a breach in your privacy or the protection of your personal health information by RVH staff, you may file a complaint. A privacy breach happens when health professionals collect, use, disclose or access your personal health information for unauthorized purposes.
To file a privacy complaint under PHIPA, please call, write a letter or send an email to:
Chief Privacy Officer
Renfrew Victoria Hospital
499 Raglan St North
Renfrew, ON K7V 1P6
613-432-4851 x 215
Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
Toronto, Ontario M4W 1A8
For more information about the Personal Health Information Protection Act, visit PHIPA.