How long will you wait in our emergency department?
We do our best to ensure that everyone in our emergency department
is seen in a timely manner. A number of circumstances can affect how long you may spend
in the emergency department:
- When you go – some days or times of day may be busier than
- Unforeseen circumstances – for example, a big accident in
the area or an infectious disease outbreak.
- Patients with serious or potentially life-threatening
health problems – high-urgency patients receive treatment first. This means
that low-urgency patients may have to spend more time in the emergency
- Need for immediate tests or diagnostic imaging – getting
the tests (e.g. blood) or images (e.g. x-ray) and results will add to the total
length of your visit.
- If you need to be admitted to hospital – you may need to
wait until a hospital bed becomes available.