December 15, 2016
RVH prepares for holiday season
Renfrew Victoria Hospital is working hard to ensure patient access to the emergency department (ED) throughout the holiday season. It is usual, during the holidays, for hospital emergency departments (EDs) to experience an increase in patient visits.
Flu season along with increased social gatherings and holiday activities add to the number of people who will be seeking care.
This combined with the holiday hours of many local family physicians’ offices means that the hospital’s emergency department will be busier than usual.
There are ways that the community can help keep the holidays healthy and ease the expected surge in the number of patients.
- Plan ahead and make use of alternative resources for non-emergency situations to minimize the strain on the ED and help keep the service accessible for those who need it the most.
- Practise diligent hand hygiene; get a flu vaccination, available from most family physician offices, community health centres, clinics and pharmacies.
- Make a note of your doctor’s holiday hours. Many physician offices will have special hours during the holidays.
- Confirm that your family’s prescriptions are up-to-date and check medical equipment. Make sure to have enough of medications, both prescription and non-prescription, on hand to last throughout the holidays. Remember items such as needles and alcohol swabs, and check inhalers, respirators, oxygen, glucose, and testing equipment.
- If you are visiting the ED, ensure that your medical information is up to date, and take a list of all medications along with any other important information such as allergies.
Alternatives to the hospital, if your situation is non-urgent, include: family doctors, the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care health care options at: www.ontario.ca/healthcareoption; or Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000 for free telephone access to a Registered Nurse 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- 30 -
For more information, please contact:
Randy Penney, President and CEO,
Renfrew Victoria Hospital
613-432-4851, ext. 260
We are committed to providing a safe, secure and respectful environment for our patients, staff and visitors
and will not tolerate any form of violent, abusive or aggressive behaviour.