The Renfrew Victoria Hospital first opened in 1897 with 12 beds for contagious disease. By 1912 the bed capacity rose to 30 and Renfrew Victoria Hospital became a Public General Hospital.
A tragic fire in January 1926 destroyed the original building and a new hospital with a 50 bed capacity was completed later that year.
The Hospital was originally governed by a Committee from Town Council and in 1922 under a special act of the Ontario Legislature with ownership vested in the Town of Renfrew.
The Hospital continued under Municipal ownership until 1961 when, again by special act of parliament, ownership was transferred from the Civic authorities to an independent corporation known as the Board of Governors and composed of representatives from the Town of Renfrew and surrounding Townships.
In October 1963, a major building and renovation program was completed which saw the Hospital grow to 101 active treatment beds. A Rehabilitation Centre with 35 beds located on the former Barnet property on Raglan Street South opened in 1952 as a convalescent rehabilitation unit. This centre was closed out of service in 1976.
In November 1978 another renovation project took place and was completed in April 1980.
In 1994 a new Dialysis Unit serving Renfrew County was completed accommodating the needs of 48 patients. This Unit was again expanded in 1999 with an addition to the Hospital.
On November 30, 2001, RVH opened a new Emergency /Ambulatory Care wing adding 13,000 square feet to the existing hospital.
In March 2015, RVH completed a 23,000 square foot Nephrology Centre. For the first time since the program began in 1993, every aspect of patient's care for kidneys - education, clinics, treatment - is consolidated in the same area of the hospital.
School of Nursing
The Victoria Hospital School of Nursing was opened in 1902 with a capacity of 30 students, graduating 10 students per year. As nursing education moved under the jurisdiction of community colleges the school was subsequently closed in 1965.
Four year exemplary accreditation by the Accreditation Canada
Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 1548
Ontario Nurses Association Local 108
2017/2018 - $42,000,000
Size of Building
82,204 square feet
24 hours Emergency Service
Complex Continuing Care
Special Care Unit
Medical Imaging (includes CT, radiology, mammography, bone density, ultrasound)
Ambulatory Blood Pressure
CHF Clinic, Ottawa Heart Institute
Day Care Surgery
Geriatric Day Hospital
Holter Monitor Recording
IntraOccular Lens Measurement
Ontario Breast Screening Program
Physical Medicine and Electromyography
Wound Care Clinic
Assisted Living Program
Addiction Treatment Services
Health Care Aide Program
Algonquin College 1st, 2nd and 3rd Year Nursing Students
Student Co-Op Program
Cambrian College, Diagnostic Imaging Program